What’s behind the name, Western Dragon Teas and Tisanes? In this episode, we are chatting with Anthony Garcia-Copian of Western Dragon Teas and Tisanes. Raised in Europe Anthony had a deep appreciation for fine food, learning about tea at an early age. Anthony is an artist and Playwright who after losing his job decided to look at starting a tea business.
The idea all started while watching a clip from Dragon Ball Z at a friend’s home. Anthony thought about creating a tea call Dragon Ball G with Green Tea and Ginger. He thought, what about blending teas, that include herbs, barks, leaves, spices, and Western Dragon Tea and Tisanes was born.
You might think that a beverage is easier to develop than a food product, no so. Anthony reminds us that there was a lot of research, testing and tasting that when into the various tea blends sold by Western Dragon. There is nothing that takes the place of good old-fashioned hard work.
“Anything related to taste requires that you be an artist of some time so have that artistic passion.”
- Born in Cuba, Anthony’s parents moved to Spain where he was first introduced to good food and great tea.
- Anthony’s family was in the catering business fueling his love for excellent food.
- As a child, Anthony was introduced to tea by a Baron while living in Spain
- There was a lot of research that went into developing Western Dragon Teas and Tisanes.
- Originally, Anthony did not like green tea but knew it had a number of medicinal purposes.
- What is Tisane? Tisane is an herbal tea, made years ago from barley.
- It was Mao Feng Tea that started Anthony’s journey because it had a natural sweetness.
- Listen as Anthony fearlessly tells local vendors about his tea business.
- Learn how developing a unique sense of taste and authentic style can take your product from kitchen to market.
Why tea is the perfect cottage food product
One of the primary reasons tea is the perfect cottage food product involves its self-life. The product does not have to be cooked or refrigerated. It is a universal food that can be enjoyed at any time, and it’s packed with flavor. I definitely think Anthony is on to something. Update: If you’re in the Raleigh, NC area, check out Western Teas and Tisanes 2019/2020 classes.
Podcast Music by Bensound-The Lounge