Meringue Powder Update
Home-based bakers have been looking for alternatives for meringue powder. So, what happens if you want to make royal icing, and meringue powder is not an option. Use garbanzo beans. (Use other beans, but you may need to extend the beating time) I’m not saying this recipe is perfect but it may work for you if you cannot get your Cottage Food Agency onboard with using meringue powder.
Bean Water Meringue Recipe
- Drain a 15 oz can of garbanzo beans (chickpeas) Reserve the liquid.
- ½ cup granulated sugar ½ tsp cream of tartar or ( xanthan gum optional, but I’ve found it helps the meringue hold its shape and stay shiny)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or 1 tsp of another flavoring (Optional)
- 1/8 tsp vanilla bean paste (Enhances the flavor)
- Use a flavoring or the meringue will have a bean flavor
- Add the bean liquid (you’ll have ½ cup to ¾ cup) and vanilla in a large bowl. Adding the liquid a little at a time.
- Add the cream of tartar or xanthan gum
- Add sugar, a little at a time beating continuously.
- Allow the sugar time to incorporate each time. Continue beating on high for a total of about 10-15 minutes, until the mixture forms stiff peaks.