Have you ever heard of Fresh Apple Cake? I learned about this recipe from the 1984 Detroit Free Press Cookbook, a collection of the best-loved recipes from the Free Press Tower Kitchen of Jeremy Iggers and Nettie Duffield.
In 1984 the ingredient cost of producing the Fresh Apple Cake was $3.85 boxed with a 2×4 inch white label. I added another 25% for overhead and sold the cake for $25 (mere pennies today). I sold at least 4-5 cakes per week along with other baked goods. Here is my version of the recipe. Happy Baking!
Denay’s Fresh Apple Cake
1 1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
3/4 teaspoons nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon mace
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups apples, pared, diced, and sprinkled with fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Glaze (recipe follows)
What to do
- Combine the oil and sugar in a bowl or mixer.
- Blend well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Sift together dry ingredients and add gradually, thoroughly combining.
- Blend in apples tossed in lemon juice, nuts, and vanilla.
- The batter will be very thick so be sure that it is well blended.
- Spoon into a well-greased and floured 9-inch or 10-inch bundt pan.
- Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes at 325 degrees until a knife inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and cool on a rack for 30 minutes.
- Unmold the cake and place it on a large plate, one 1/2-inch larger than the cake so it can catch any glaze drippings.
- As soon as the cake is slightly cool, spoon the glaze (recipe below) over the cake.
- The cake will keep for 2-weeks in plastic wrap, at room temperature. The cake freezes well.
Glaze (Brown Sugar Syrup)
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons light brown sugar
4 tablespoons heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melt the butter in a heavy pan.
- Add all other ingredients and boil gently for 2 minutes
- The mixture will be a slightly thin syrup.
- Spoon the syrup over the cake.
- Use a pastry brush if needed to assure the entire cake is covered.
Pan & Packaging
Here is the pan used when making the cake. It is a 9 inch Bundt Cake Pan, Non-stick Fluted Tube Bake ware, Heavy Duty Stainless Carbon Steel for Oven Baking Pan.
Use packaging that best meets your budget, preferably a 9-inch by 4 or 5-inch white window box. It is highly recommended that you also use a cake disc to prevent the glaze from soiling the cake box.
The Fresh Apple Cake can be sold at any time of the year but was most popular during the fall, so it is considered a seasonal product.
How to Sell Fresh Apple Cake
The Fresh Apple Cake is considered a specialty cake. This is not the type of cake you might have on hand to sell. Consumers should special order the cake at least 1-3 days in advance.
Orders should be prepaid and bakers should decide if you are willing to make substitutions. When I prepared the cake I did not allow substitutes regarding the fruit or nuts. I did not alter the size of the cake pan either. There was no substitution regarding a discount for multiple cakes. This is an expensive cake to prepare and well worth the price you should charged.
Specialty cakes are usually sold for special events and should carry a premium price. Bakers may opt to place the cake in a specialty cake box, Tiffany colored, or a custom-designed cake box. Always price the cake accordingly.